Akron OVI Attorney
Were You Arrested for Drunk Driving in Ohio? Call (330) 787-9841
OVI (operating a vehicle impaired) is a newly designated criminal offense that encompasses drunk driving cases, DWI (driving while intoxicated), DUI (driving under the influence), and OMVI (operating a motor vehicle impaired). Under this new statute, actually driving the vehicle is no longer a requirement, and “vehicle” now refers to more than just a motor vehicle.
Looking for a DUI Defense Attorney in Akron, Ohio?
- Our lawyers have 30+ years’ experience,
- Have been selected for U.S. News—Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms”,
- Are backed by a proven track record of OVI defense, and
- Offer 24/7 availability to answer your questions
If you have been accused of drunk driving then your driver’s license, your freedom, and your future could be on the line. When faced with an OVI charge, time is of the essence. Never underestimate your charges. You need an experienced defense lawyer who can stand up for your rights in court and walk you through the DUI/OVI process. DiCaudo, Pitchford & Yoder is a highly qualified criminal defense firm with extensive OVI experience.
DUI Penalties in Ohio
Our legal team will work tirelessly to help you reinstate your driver’s license, avoid jail, avoid serious fines, and avoid a criminal conviction. Let us fight to clear your name along with your charges! We have successfully helped many clients charged with OVI avoid penalties such as:
- Jail time
- Court-ordered alcohol or drug treatment
- Ignition Interlock Devices
- Higher Insurance Rates
- Driver’s License Suspension
- Vehicle forfeiture
- Permanent criminal record
Even a first-time OVI offense can result in a minimum of 3 days to 6 months in jail, fines from $375 to $1,075, license suspension from 6 months to 3 years, and a license reinstatement fee. Our firm can provide the competent legal counsel and skilled representation you will need when fighting OVI charges. We know how to challenge OVI test results and will ensure your constitutional rights are protected.
Common OVI Defenses
The important thing to remember is to not easily throw up the white flag by entering a guilty plea. Our team can get familiar with the evidence that the prosecutor plans to bring against you. We run a full-scale investigation into the details of your case, and we dig for flaws and weaknesses that can discredit the prosecution’s case against you. Once we identify major flaws we can then work to file a motion to have the evidence suppressed. During this process, some important questions we bring up in court include:
- Did the arresting officer have probable cause to pull you over?
- Was the officer legally allowed to detain you for DUI/OVI?
- Were the field sobriety tests conducted properly?
- Was your DUI/OVI arrest justifiable?
- Did the arresting officer follow protocol abide by all regulations?
- Was the breath test, urine test, or blood test administered correctly?
- Was all the paperwork filled out according to standards?
Our first attempt will be to reach a mutually acceptable agreement with the prosecution. However, if no agreement can be made then we stand ready to take your case to trial.