Can I Apply for a Hardship License?


August 28, 2017

When people have been arrested for and convicted of operating a vehicle impaired (OVI), they usually lose their licenses for a specific period of time. Driving, after all, is considered a privilege, not a right. However, for people who depend on their cars to get to and from work, for example, they might be able to apply for what is called a hardship license.

Hardship licenses allow people to drive for work, school, or medical purposes. Any other recreational use of your car is still prohibited with a hardship license, and your permit may be taken away if not used for its designated purpose.

Before you can apply for a hardship license, you must wait for a specific period before sending in an application. This term is referred to as “hard time,” and they are dependent on whether or not you had prior OVI convictions or refused to take a chemical test before your arrest.

In order to apply for a license, you can file a petition for limited driving privileges in the court that has jurisdiction over the place of your arrest. The court may impose restrictions on you in addition to the limited scope of the license. For example, you might be required to carry restricted yellow plates or be ordered to use an ignition interlock device (IID).

If you’re interested in applying for a license or contesting your license suspension, talk to one of our skilled Akron OVI lawyers as soon as possible. Our firm is dedicated to providing experienced and aggressive advocacy for our clients. Let us see what we can do for you.

Contact us at 330-762-7477 or fill out our online form to schedule a free case consultation with us today.